Tuesday, July 6, 2010

APX Alarm SUCKS

Yes, just another way to bleed money away from a widow's hands...

In 2008, my husband contracted with APX Alarm for a two-year contract (reduced rates when signing for two years, probably). The alarm stick-up artists company would debit our VISA card automatically for those two years. So then the following turn of events occurred:

Greg died in May of 2008

I sold my house and closed on it in August 2009

I contacted APX that same month, and they told me that, unless the new occupants/owners decided to "pick up" the contract, APX was legally able to debit my VISA card until May of 2010

I informed the new owners of this and left it up to them. Obviously, they chose to NOT have a contract with APX, as the automatic "hickies" to my VISA account continued.

When I saw the debit for May of this year, I assumed it would be the last one

Imagine my delight at seeing yet another debit, dated June 28, 2010...

I phoned APX and had the door shut in my face, as far as being able to cancel the automatic renewal that had taken place. NO ONE had told me that this would be an automatic renewal, and now I am paying $43.xx monthly for a goddamned house that I do not even care about anymore. Although I am sure the current owners attach some value to this place.

The sweet-talkin' customer rep had the balls to ask me if "there was anything else he could do for me" -- as if this was NOT enough that they were doing TO me

This is a warning to one and all... pump those damned customer reps for ALL information and FORCE them to tell you when or IF a contract will renew automatically

I am SMOKIN'...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I will let everyone I know that APX Alarms is not a company consumers should do business with because they have deceptive operating practices that are not consumer friendly and are only out to drain every buck they can from their customers.
Close your VISA account Jessica and open up a new one with Northern Communities Credit Union.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when companies try to get you for those automatic renewals. Maybe you can get your credit card company to dispute or block their charges?

President Small Victories Exposed said...

MOST States have laws that say contracts for service cannot automatically renew.

I would contact your consumer bureau or atty general to have these charges stopped.

Call the TV station's consumer reporter. They love to play up the "scammed widow" angle.

Or, open an account with a new bank and close out the old account by the 15th of the month.

They will threaten to take you to court, but how do they enforce a contract on property you no longer own or live in? And after you have moved away from THEIR equipment.

Is it a deed restriction? I think not.

President Small Victories Exposed said...

Also, if your husband contracted for it and he is dead.

Who are they going to come after?

Did you sign the contract?

Unobserved said...

Thats crazy....I'd report them to the better business. I mean come on, you sold your house and still have to pay for it??? I agree with John, I'd close that VISA account.

The Retired One said...

Hi Jess, I am far behind in reading blogposts so was reading some back posts and saw this one...
something similar happened to me, and I contacted my credit card company and THEY were able to cancel a similar "automatic renewal" that I did not authorize. The credit card co. said it is against the law for them to do that unless you agree to..so contact your cc company and tell them to d/c payment to them and explain that you need them to intercede for you...good luck!

Unknown said...

I used to work for APX, and they do suck pretty hard. But if your name was not on the contract, then the contract is void.